Before the Interview:
- Research the company and the industry it operates in
- Research the interviewers and prepare questions pertaining to their position within the company
- Ensure you are familiar with your CV and be prepared to answer questions on everything it contains
- Be sure that you know the exact time and location of the interview
- Arrive at the interview 20 minutes before the scheduled time
At the Interview:
- Be aware of your body language - firm handshake, maintain eye contact, smile, good posture and introduce yourself in a relaxed and confident manner
- Dress smartly - well-groomed and professional appearance
- Ensure you highlight your relevant skills, attributes and achievements during the course of the interview
- If there is more than one interviewer, ensure you address your answers to everyone on the panel, making eye contact with all of them
After the Interview:
- Ask when you will be informed about the result of the interview
- At the end of the interview, make sure you thank the interviewer/s for their time
Example of Questions to Ask the Interviewer
- What do you enjoy about working for this company?
- Do you have any intentions to go into new markets?
- What are the opportunities for career progression?
- What is the structure of the department I will be working in?
- What kind of training does the company offer its employees?
Common Questions Asked at Interviews:
- Tell me a bit about yourself?
- How do you handle criticism?
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
- What attracted you to this role / company?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What makes you different from other candidates being interviews for this position?
- Why should we hire you?
- What skills could you bring to this position?
- What do you think it takes to be successful in this field?
- Tell me about what you learned from your previous jobs.
- What did you dislike most about your last job?
- What has been your greatest challenge?
- What are your hobbies?
Examples of Competency-based Questions
- Give me an example of a time when you had to work under pressure and how you managed that?
- Give me an example of a situation where you felt out of your depth and how you managed that?
- Have you ever had to go against the general consensus to accomplish a goal? How did you handle this?
- Describe a time when you were a member of a team. How did you positively contribute to the team?